Volunteers play a BIG role at the National Butterfly Center. Without your assistance, we would not be able to:
- Maintain the center and its many gardens;
- Cultivate and propagate beneficial native plant species;
- Educate visitors and conduct school field trips;
- Operate the gift shop; and
- Fulfill our mission to grow meaningful connections between people, plants and our many winged wonders!
We know your time is precious, and greatly appreciate your decision to spend some of it with us!
Your support makes a world of difference to all the critters at the Center and, of course, to the BUTTERFLIES!
THANK YOU for using your talents help us reach our goals.
IN THE GARDEN:
- Create new beds
- Scout for Scat
- Collect seeds for plan propagation
- Move plants & trees from one place to another or from pot to ground
- Pull invasive vegetation from plant beds
- Clear paths of vegetation to
- Cut designated areas where the plants have over grown
- Prune trees and shrubs
- Clear the gardens & trails of debris (trash, broken limbs, leaves, etc.)
- Clean the signs, benches and palapa
- Create Additional Trails & Observation Areas
- Carpentry, Plumbing & Electrical, etc.
- Build tables or benches for use in the gardens
- Put irrigation systems in garden beds
- Install trash receptacles on the grounds
- Dig post holes
- Repair equipment& machinery
IN THE NURSERY:
- Seed collection & cleaning
- Planting & transplanting
- Watering & weeding
- Retail sales & customer service, including education and butterfly garden design
IN THE VISITOR'S PAVILION:
- Greet visitors & answer phones
- Sell memberships & merchandise (operate register)
- Keep gift shop tidy
- Inventory & stock merchandise
- Schedule volunteers
- Schedule tour groups & events
- General clerical dutiesWe hope you will join us!