Volunteers play a BIG role at the National Butterfly Center. Without your assistance, we would not be able to:
- Maintain the center and its many gardens;
- Cultivate and propagate beneficial native plant species;
- Educate visitors and conduct school field trips;
- Operate the gift shop; and
- Fulfill our mission to grow meaningful connections between people, plants and our many winged wonders!
We know your time is precious, and greatly appreciate your decision to spend some of it with us! Please conplete the 'VOLUNTEER ONLINE' form, visible on the 'JOIN US' drop down menu, next to 'VOLUNTEER HERE.' Let us know about your interests and availability, and we'll be in contact within 48 hours to help you get started.
Your support makes a world of difference to all the critters at the Center and, of course, to the BUTTERFLIES!
THANK YOU for using your talents help us reach our goals.
IN THE GARDEN:
- Create new beds
- Scout for Scat
- Collect seeds for plan propagation
- Move plants & trees from one place to another or from pot to ground
- Pull invasive vegetation from plant beds
- Harvest beneficial plants that spring up where they do not belong
- Pick up debris (trash, broken limbs, leaves, etc.) on the trails and grounds
- Clean the signs, benches and palapa
- Create Additional Trails & Observation Areas
- Carpentry, Plumbing & Electrical, etc.
- Build tables or benches for use in the gardens
- Put irrigation systems in garden beds
- Install trash receptacles on the grounds
- Repair equipment& machinery
IN THE NURSERY:
- Seed collection & cleaning
- Planting & transplanting
- Watering & weeding
- Mixing soil
IN THE VISITOR'S PAVILION:
- Greet visitors & answer phones
- Sell memberships & merchandise (operate register)
- Keep gift shop tidy
- Take inventory & stock merchandise
- Recruit and schedule volunteers
- Schedule tour groups & events
- General clerical duties.